It’s that time of year. You know, the one where zucchini starts taking over the garden and crazy neighbors put it in your mailbox. (This actually happened yesterday, but since I watched him pick it, I know the identity of the culprit and will be considering reprisals.) Here is a zucchini recipe the whole family agrees on. Tim is actually feeling mighty grateful because I’ve made this twice. It freezes nicely so I think I will do that with about 1/2 of it.
- 1/2 cup butter or Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk alternative w/ 1/2 tsp. vinegar
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 whole wheat pastry flour (you can use all white)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 6 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- Cream together butter or margarine, vegetable oil and sugar.
- Add eggs. Blend well.
- Add vanilla. Blend well.
- In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients together.
- Alternate buttermilk and dry ingredients blending into the butter mixture.
- Add grated zucchini, and mix well.
- Spread in a greased floured 9 x 13 inch pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) oven for 50 minutes.
I also made these Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Muffins. Most delicious, though I will probably cut the oil back a little on the next go. Piper feels the lemon zest is an absolute necessity on these so no skipping. 🙂